A very special recipe using finest aromatic ingredients all the way from Java. I first tried this recipe at my work place in a business meeting. My boss spoke so highly of this humble Indonesian fried rice that I could not resist from trying it. The tingling of spices along with the sweet taste of the Kecap manis just wooed my tongue and the legend begins. Having tried this dish in a local Malay restaurant I could quiet not get the same flavor as I had it when the chef personally prepared using his magic. So I decided to have my own version by using the basic authentic javanese ingredients along with added flavor. So here is my very special Nasi Goreng 50th special recipe on Mr.Garlic Chili.
Ingredients: serves 4
- 2 chopped shallots
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic with skin
- 1/2 tsp of palm sugar
- 1 Lemongrass
- 1 tsp of shrimp pasted/Kapi
- 1″ ginger
- 1-2 Thai birds eye chilies
For the Fried Rice:
- 2 bowl of Basmati Rice a day old
- 1 diced chicken breast
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil/vegetable oil
- 1-2 tsp of kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 1-2 tbsp of mild soy sauce
- 2 sliced shallots
- 2 sliced garlic
- Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- plain omelette made out of 2 eggs. Omelette rolled and cut. Alternatively, you can fry egg as sunny side up and serve.
- Chopped Cucumber dusted with cayenne pepper powder
- 2-3 Prawn Crackers (optional)
- Take a foil and place the shrimp paste in the center. Close all the ends as making a packet and using your palm pat it to make and even circular shape as a disk. Once done place this packet on a electrical gas for 30 seconds on each side for about 2 minutes.
- Grind the shrimp paste along with the other ingredients listed under the paste category.
- Heat Wok until smoking hot, add the sesame oil and reduce the heat a little. Now add the shallots and garlic and let it fry till they sweat.
- To this add the diced chicken and fry until chicken has cooked.
- Add the ground paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add the rice, kecap manis and mild soy sauce and mix well until the rice is coated well with all the ingredients.
- Add salt if required as per taste and crushed black pepper.
- Serve Nasi Goreng hot topped with egg and prawn cracker along with cucumber on the side.