The boys have gone to celebrate the last few days of my brothers bachelor life. This has given me ample amount of time now to upload my favourite recipe. Since Easter this year we have cut down on eating Rice, and have tried and introduced Quinoa instead. A rich and natural source of high protein, this seed can be used as a grain as it is versatile. Chains like Pret, Marks and Spencer have quinoa salads and quinoa oats stocked up in their shelves but quinoa being expensive I prefer to buy it in bulk from Wholefoods which cost £9.00 per kilo.
Couple of weeks back my little brother in law wanted to have some fried rice and since we had totally give up on rice, my only saviour was the ‘Superfood Quinoa’. The idea of quinoa fried rice did not but my brother in laws appetite but once he tasted this delicious light and fluffy fried rice he went for a second helping.
Try this dish instead of the same old fried rice and surprise your family.
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 shredded carrots
- 2 shredded green bell pepper
- 5-6 copped mushrooms of your choice, I used Shiitake
- 1 chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil
- Salt and pepper as required
- Handful of roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 2 chopped spring onion.
- Rinse the quinoa and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry the quinoa for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Set aside and let it cool.
- Heat coconut oil in a Wok.
- Add the shredded carrots and green pepper, sauté for about 2 minutes
- Add the chopped Mushrooms and Garlic
- Add seasoning and toss in the cooked quinoa.
- Now add the garnishing and serve hot.