For sure Italians are very passionate about their food. For those who have watched the Bollywood movie Queen will definitely remember a screen where in Rani asks for chilly,garlic etc to me added to an Italian dish and the owner of the restaurant gets mad at her. My Italian friend Miss. Siddi says that for Italians if a recipe has been modified it is no longer Italian. I don’t blame them for it as I have been to Italy and I know for sure why there food is much better than any Italian take away in London.
Since long I have had this recipe in mind, to create a tiramisu which is not very traditional. In this recipe I have used the basic ingredients of espresso, savoiardi biscuits, mascarpone and eggs but added 2 new ingredients of Amaretto liqueur and fresh cherry’s which are in season now. Forgive me as I have broken the traditional recipe and created a piece of sweet tooth of my own.
- 200 grms savoiardi/lady sponge finger biscuits
- 2 egg whites and yolk separated
- 250 grms of mascarpone cheese
- 250 grms of double cream, lightly whipped.
- 3 cups of strong cold espresso coffee
- 1 shot glass of amaretto liqueur
- 2 1/2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 400 grms of sweet cherries pitted and halved.
- Chopped almonds and pistachios nuts to garnish
- Place the cherries in a pot on medium heat, add 1/2 tsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of amaretto and mix it well until the cherries are soft and the skin slightly peels off. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and 2 tbsp of sugar until you get a pale yellow color. Basically the sugar needs to dissolve in the egg yolks.
- Fold in the mascarpone, followed by the whipped double cream.
- To this add the remaining amaretto liqueur.
- Gently whisk the egg whites to soft peak and fold this into the cream mixture.
- Take a martini glass or a glass tumbler. Dip the biscuit in the espresso for a second and place it in the glass.
- Followed by cherries and on top a layer of the cream.
- Repeat this step again but make sure that the final layer should be the cream.
- Garnish with finely chopped nuts and place it in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.