There has been so much of talk about eating healthy, go green in your diet plus its Lenten season now. Having all this in mind puts you into so much of a confusion as to how to eat green keeping you and your family healthy. I had this same question in my mind until I came across this recipe wherein it transformed those beautiful long grain white rice into a healthy green garden.
KJ has been requesting that I prepare Mexican since long. This cuisine has always been close to my heart, along with its fresh ingredients and popularity its a perfect marriage of spices and herbs. To prepare a Mexican dish was not issue however my biggest challenge was to prepare a rice base for my scrumptious burrito. Most of the Mexican restaurants serve burrito with either plain white or brown rice. But I though you can do so much with rice so why not add a little more flavor and color rather than eating the same old boring rice. So below is my creation of a Green Rice, hearty healthy and warm just like the Mexicans.
- 1 1/2 cup of long grain white rice/Basmati Rice washed well (I used Basmati rice)
- 1/2 cup pressed coriander leaves
- 1 cup pressed spinach
- 1 cube of Chicken/Vegetable stock.
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups of water. (use the same cup as used to measure the rice)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a blender add the coriander and spinach leaves and grind it to a paste.
- Add the stock and grind the paste along with a little/no salt until all combined. Stock already has salt so use a low sodium stock.
- In a pot, heat the oil and add the onion, saute for 4-5 minutes as we need them to sweat.
- To this add the rice and fry the rice for another 3-4 minutes stirring at about every 30 seconds. Now add the garlic and fry until the raw smell has gone.
- To this add the ground paste and mix it well with the rice until all of the rice is coated well.
- Add water and boil until the water has evaporated or until the rice has cooked well.