Finally, I have my Father’s Day special ready. Not that this dish took a lot of time but its just that the Sunday has been so busy. So the Father’s Day special Nalli Nihari- An Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi dish which needs to be cooked with a lot of love and patience as this dish is slow cooked probably in some places overnight, just for the tender meat to melt in your mouth.
Its root lies in the Muslim Nawab Royal kitchens of Lucknow. It is also a popular dish as its regarded as a popular dish of Pakistan and is known for its spiciness and taste. When I went to my butcher this morning to get the best lamb leg meat for this dish and I told him that it was to prepare Nalli Nihari, he was overwhelmed as asked he to get him some as well :).
I thought this would be a prefect gift for every father out there as the tenderness of the lamb represents us as children and the slow cooking process which needs a lot of patience reminds me of how patience my father was when he was raising his four naughty kids 🙂 and spices in this dish are the different phases of life that we all go through with our father being the pillar of our lives. So cheers to all the fathers out there. We love you.
1. 750 grams of Lamb leg pieces
2. 200 grams of boneless lamb meat
3. 2 tbsp of ghee
4. 2 medium sized onions sliced
5. 2 tbsp of fried onion for garnishing
6. Salt to taste.
7. 2 Cups Nalli stock
8. 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
9. 1 tsp lemon juice
10. thumb size ginger cut in thin stripes
11. handful of chopped coriander leaves
For Nihari Masala:
1. 6 dried red chilies
2. 2″ cinnamon stick
3. 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
4. 1 tsp grated nutmeg powder
5. 1 tsp dried ginger powder
6. 1 bay leaf
7. 1 tbsp chana dal
8. 1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
9. 7 green cardamoms
10. 2 black cardamom
11. 8-10 cloves
12. 3 mace blades
13. 2 tsp fennel seeds
14. 12-14 black peppercorns.
15. Star Anise 3 pieces.
- Wash the Lamb leg pieces. Ina pot add 2 cups of water and let it boil on medium flame for about an hour. This is your Nalli stock.
- Dry roast the Nihari masala spices. Let it cool. Grind this to a fine powder in a mixer.
- In a pot, add ghee. Once the ghee is heated add the sliced onions and fry. Then add the ginger.
- Add the meat pieces and let it cook.
- Now add the Nihari Masala and reduce the flame. Let this slow cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and Lamb leg pieces.
- Cover a cook on slow flame until the lamb meat is soft and tender. Add salt.
- Garnish with fried onions, chopped coriander leaves and thin slices of ginger topped with some fresh lemon juice.
- Enjoy this Nawabi dish hot with some desi ghee parathas.