Possible one of the most famous dishes in and around the coastal area of Mangalore and Udupi that is prepared in every household. This dish is also used the menu during any auspicious occasions or a family get together. This is a spicy dish blended with the aroma of fresh grated coconut. The spice level may vary as the bunts community prepare this dish with a high level of spices.
I tried this once just by using Bafat Powder and it turned out to be very delicious. In this dish I have used Kashmiri Chilies that gives a nice red color to your and is a mild chilly. You could use a mix Bedgi long chilies and Harekala short red chilies if you prefer it spicy.
1. 1 kg chicken
2. 1 Onion sliced
3. Ginger garlic paste
4. 1 stem of curry leaves
6. 1 cup fresh grated coconut
For Masala to grind:
1. 4 tbsp of coriander seeds
2. 1 tbsp cumin seeds
3. 1/2 tsp black peppercon
4. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
5. 4 -5 Kashmiri chili/7 long red chilies (Bedgi) and 7 short red chilies (Harekala)
6. Small marble size tamarind
7. 5 cloves
8. 1 stick cinnamon
9. pinch of fenugreek seeds
10. 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
11. 1 medium sized onion
1. 1 onion finely sliced
- Wash clean and cut chicken keep it aside.
- In a pan dry roast the spices except the tamarind and onion for about 3-4 minutes on low to medium flame or until you get the aroma of the spices.
- Let this spices cool down. Once cooled grind them to a paste along with the onion and tamarind adding a little water.
- Heat ghee in a pot. Add curry leaves and let it fry for a minute or two. Then add the ginger garlic paste. Saute this for few minutes and add the sliced onion. Fry this until the onions are soft and translucent.
- To this add the ground masala and fry until the masala is blended with the oil.
- Add chicken and coat the masala well to the chicken. Cover and cook for 5 minutes adding a little water from the grinder.
- Now add the grated coconut and Salt. Cover and let it cook to another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked well.
- Heat ghee in a kadai
- Add the finely sliced onion and fry until nice and crispy.
- Add this to the chicken.
Your delicious all time favorite Chicken Sukka is ready.